Illinois couple lead police on a chase on 41 in Gibson County

On August 31st, at 10:41 P.M., Deputy U.B. Smith observed a Red 2008 Toyota Rav4 traveling northbound on US 41 at a high rate of speed. When Deputy Smith pulled behind the vehicle he observed it exit onto CR 550 South without properly using their turn signal. At that point Deputy Smith attempted to initiate a traffic stop. When Deputy Smith exited his patrol vehicle and approached the rear of the suspect vehicle Deputy Smith stated that the driver, 39 year old Jason Griffith of Ingraham, Illinois put the car in gear and fled the traffic stop. Deputy Smith then returned to his patrol vehicle and pursued the vehicle west on CR 550 South before going South on CR 50 West at speeds near 90 mph. The pursuit of the Rav4 went back east on SR 168 before heading northbound on US 41 at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Ultimately the pursuit ended with the Rav4 losing control on US 41near CR 350 South.

When law enforcement officers approached the vehicle they had found that Mr. Griffith had fled the scene. Officers also found evidence in the vehicle that a passenger 34 year old Kellie Griffith of Xenia, Illinois had also fled the scene. After a brief search of the area officers found Mr. and Ms. Griffith located at the edge of a nearby cornfield. Kellie Griffith immediately surrendered to authorities, but Jason Griffith lead officers on a brief foot chase.

During an inventory of the vehicle officers found Methamphetamines, Marijuana and drug paraphernalia in Ms. Griffith’s possession. Ms. Griffith was transported to the Gibson County Jail where she was charged with Possession of Methamphetamines, Possession of Marijuana and Possession of Paraphernalia. She remains in custody on a $1500 bond.
At the close of Deputy Smith’s investigation Jason Griffith was transported to the Gibson County Jail where he was charged with Possession of Methamphetamines, Driving While Suspended-Prior, Reckless Driving, Resisting Law Enforcement with a vehicle, Resisting Law Enforcement Flees after being ordered to stop, Possession of Marijuana, and Criminal Recklessness with a deadly weapon. He remains in custody on a $1500 bond.